Tuesday, April 17, 2012

3 Artists

One of the hobbies I have been able to sustain is listening to and scouting for new music. I think it's one of the things that got me through my Final exams month without going crazy, considering that I had been almost always alone during those days.

Let me share three artists I've discovered over the past weeks:

1. Birdy. If I'm not mistaken I've listened to this song a hundred times already, and to her entire album just as many times. Her rendition of this Postal Service song broke my heart, once I sat down and tried to figure out what it was all about.

As I understand it, the song talks about being kept a secret lover and eventually being left alone. By the end of the song, the artist realizes, "I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving." Her voice and melody are simply beautiful, and the start of this song was simply heartbreaking for me.


2. Lana Del Rey. Her voice and her live performances and her beauty all come together to form what comes off to me as a sad and haunting artist. This song, I think, is pretty straightforward. It talks about how Lana struggled so hard to finally get on the radio and how she's loving her success so far. The song mentions cinnamon a couple of times and that's enough reason for me to love this song. Haha.




3. Mumford & Sons. Mumford & Sons isn't exactly a recent discovery, but I found a compilation of their unreleased songs recently and it's been on loop ever since. This song comes from their first studio album. It  talks about, well, what happens after the storm. There's an obvious gospel angle to this, which makes me love it even more.




Obviously, this post is a sad little attempt at talking about something I can't talk about to other people who are simply not as passionate and interested in the music I listen to.

And just let me add, I've been really happy--or should I say content--the past days. There's nothing like the thrill of learning something new and being genuinely interested in it. I wake up everyday with a sense of purpose as to what I want to do and how I will do it. I'm (finally) slowly getting over my fears, maybe because some of them have been realized and I'm still alive. I think I'm finally out of my dark cloud and ready to start doing happy things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment